Monday 12 September 2016

Keith Vaz

This weeks story of Keith Vaz has sparked a number of thoughts and questions in my head, some of these I have decided to share.

 Over the last 10 years my opinion of Vaz has been generally consistent, he is a formidable scrutineer and easy to use the phrase "like a dog with a bone". as chairman of the home affairs committee he has been relentless in his questioning of MP's and other ensuring clarity and good governance. often he has had many people on the ropes. This I have both admired and also been really annoyed by, sometimes I have felt his questioning a little personal or vindictive, often i have thought "here we go again, why doesn't he shut up" or words to that effect. So whilst being frustrated by him I have to also admire what he has achieved and produced with the committee he chaired. 

This weekend my initial feeling was that of being let down and let down by the fact he had let himself down.

A few things jump out for me,
1) Whilst its not behaviour I would approve of, what someone does in their private life as long as its legal is up to them. The personalisation of politics worries me. In recent years we have had a number of historic politicians have their sexuality questioned (I am not referring to any alleged abuse cases) the question for me is can they and have they done a good job as a politician and are they trustworthy, That's all I'm really interested in.

2) It is alleged that a newspaper paid the other people involved in the secret filming of Vaz, WHAT!!!!! we have media paying people to catch others out for no other reason than to sell newspapers, does this mean Vaz is merely "Co lateral Damage"?  I'm guessing the defence/reason for the whole exercise was "its in the public interest", i wonder which members of the public expressed this interest prior to the set up?

3) he has been elected not his family, they will be suffering this week as the press and public pick at any scraps they can to keep a story interesting

I have wrote this in 2 parts and now vaz is being investigated for criminal activities, all i can say is Keith Vaz has let everyone down especially his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment