Monday 19 September 2016

Grammar schools

Grammar schools, are they the answer to improving the British economy through improved school results?

 There will be lots of debate in the next few weeks about how exclusive or dividing the selection process will be. I personally sit on the fence at the moment when it comes to the grammar school debate, but I am passionate about education and try my hardest to help my kids get good results at school.

  As I've titled this about Grammar schools I suppose I must put some opinion on here. I have no problem with kids who are more academic being given the relevant support and opportunity they need to achieve their full potential just as I also believe that kids who are more vocational need the relevant support and opportunity they need to achieve their full attentional. I do not at present know whether I believe this should be based on a competitive entry with limited numbers.
   I have expressed a view in the passed that it worries me that teens likely to get good gcse results, then A levels, then go on to university are often neglected and just running on a tread mill as they "do not need" additional support it is often those who struggle in education who get the assistance with carriers advice to avoid NEETs and we end up with some bright kids either making a poor decision or slipping through the net and not achieving their potential.

 Where I live I have been lucky to get my children into a good primary school and having moved around the town a number of times in the last 12 years we have experienced various teaching styles and results. As i have children from 1 year to nearly 18 I have also seen the progression through the education system from start to finish. This has given me the opinion that the most important step in the education ladder is primary school education. Children must get a good solid grip of the basics when it comes to Maths and English before their minds are polluted by LEET, the language of the Internet and social media.

 Two of my children have been through or are working on their GCSE's and I do not believe they ever really had a grasp of the basic and so struggle when the work gets more complex. There is a whole debate about class sizes and progression of the curriculum at the pace dictated.

The above point leads me to my opinion that whilst grammar schools are being discussed and in the same way as when academies were discussed we continue to take our eye off the primary schools. I personally feel that this is where the investment should be in regards all resources.

1 comment:

  1. I "failed" the 11 plus in 1976, spent 3 years at Mercian boys school and then 2 years at qems. I saw the snobbery of the grammar school lot thinking that they were better than me so I will never support the return of grammar schools. I would support single sex schools with streaming

    ReplyDelete