Sunday 23 October 2016

75% of us are micro criminals and petty theives



http://news.sky.com/story/three-out-of-four-britons-are-micro-criminals-poll-10629227

Is a micro criminal like a micro pig, at first they are small and make little impact but then they grow into huge pigs?

I am keen to find out what local results would be to the yougov and sky story ? Have you committed any of the crimes below? (remember commenting on my blog is moderated for language and hate but it is anonymous)

  • :: Paid someone cash-in-hand knowing so it costs less, knowing they won't pay tax - 43%
  • :: Illegally streamed TV programmes, films or music - 28%
  • :: Illegally downloaded TV programmes, films or music - 25%
  • :: Avoided paying for a fare on public transport - 24%
  • :: Said your food order was to take away rather than eat-in because it's cheaper - 22%
  • :: Lied about your age/situation to get a cheaper deal - 19%
  • :: Taken a plastic bag at a supermarket without paying for it - 17%
  • :: Lied about your child's age to get a cheaper deal  - 16%
  • :: Refilled your drink without paying extra - 16%
  • :: Eaten loose fruit / pick n' mix at a shop without paying for it - 12%
  • :: Put a product through a self-service till for less than it should actually cost - 9%

Now I've asked the question and hopefully you've answered I'm going to get opinionated and judgemental. I have looked at the list and can say 8 of which I definitely haven't done, as for the other 3 I'd say its a grey area ;)

All of the above crimes have in this article been looked at a minor or petty or "micro"and they way they are discussed is as if they are victimless crimes. But stop for a second!! One person takes one sweet from the Pic'n'mix and before you know it Home Bargains has replaced Woolworth on our high streets. wow it was only one aniseed ball.
 Ok I jest but the point I am getting at here is the small end of the wedge in terms of petty theft, the area of concern for me is how society handles this and what does it lead to? what 'crimes' are 'acceptable' to some parts of society as they are perceived as victimless or at least the huge numbers of people involved for the small amounts taken they can be justified.
What is it that makes these things ok?

I wonder if the below is a list of justification

well its cheaper for me, they get to save some taxation and being caught is unlikely
I'm not taking anything away from anyone, its not like stealing a car. everybody is doing it 
the bus/train is going that way anyway it's not like a taxi driver is not getting paid loads of other people have already paid, I can retrospectively pay for a ticket. My child is too young to enjoy this and will sleep through it, they are only little it won't cost this attraction anything if my little 5 year old goes in as a 4 year old. 

So if these micro crimes are "ok" then what about the next step. Oh its only a little benefit fraud my neighbours get benefits and if I lay it on thick I could have a slice of that free money.
Right now we get to some business. 
For me the tone of the article justifies taking something from someone else without permission and suggests that as these crimes re so prevalent they are ok. being able to get away with something due to its impact is a slippery slope and as I've suggested can lead to other things becoming acceptable in some parts of society. Benefit fraud or as I call it the theft of our taxes is prevalent and costs a fortune to police yet very few would be concerned enough to report someone they knew were committing this crime. reporting benefit fraud is one of those things you only do to someone you don't like as people hide behind the "its not my business". I think there are also other barriers such as the need for evidence or the potential pressure of having to be a witness, 
At risk of going off on a rant about a different issue for a minute there. 

We all know the above crimes happen and its up to us to police ourselves and resist the temptation. I am disappointed that this article does not promote this or a sense of guilt.  The tone of the article is for me jovial and almost promotional. 

Recently I was talking to a Sikh guy and we were discussing terrorism relating to religion he had a simple out look, he said "first I have to be a good human being,  if I cant be a good human I can never be a religious man"

Lets resist temptation with these "micro-crimes" and remember victimless or not our actions determine what sort of human being we are. 


1 comment:

  1. There is certainly a lot of people who think "we all do it" and micro crimes are accepted by so many people. I think there is almost a human need to feel as if they're doing something 'naughty' sometimes and they choose the crime they think will affect someone else the least. As you say though it does add up and it's very thought provoking. I won't watch downloaded films anymore, I will pay or legally stream it. I used to though and I used to use pirated software at university because I couldn't afford it. I would never do it now. People's casual attitude to such things is worrying and to be honest can only get worse, especially if the press present it with a 'jovial' tone.

    ReplyDelete