Tuesday 1 November 2016

Happy Halloween, Christmas, Easter, Solstice

Halloween and the half term break is over so back to school go the kids. This year they have spent the whole break doing crafts based on Halloween and last night had some friends round to have fun and eat.

Do remember when Halloween was just about carving a pumpkin or a group of small kids dressed up going trick or treating with innocence and under the supervision of an adult, earlier I was reminiscing about one neighbour coming out onto his roof and throwing stuff down onto us at his door, I think it was flour. We would then all go to the organisers house and evenly share our gatherings.
I even remember carving swede rather than the pumpkin made popular by the Americans.

Today is I created a box labelled "Halloween" and containing the decorations of this year,  this will go with the ones labelled "Christmas" which will come out in a few weeks with Christmas only 53 days away and so our festive decorations collection grows. A week of crafts and Family time distracting away from phones tablets, social media and computer games

I have pondered Christmas decorations out of season for a while and with the exception of the efforts of hobbycraft I feel we let other festivities down.  This year we created a Halloween wreath for the front door, in a few weeks the Christmas one will be there and a few months later the bunny shaped Easter Wreath we made this year will go up, then the door will be bare till Halloween again. WELL UNLESS I GET MY WAY!

With my family I am going to have decorations up 4 times a year and would love others to join in, let's get crafty and get some decs up. Christmas, Easter, mid summer solstice and Halloween let's celebrate these with feasting decorations and a wreath on the door. For the Christian element the latter 2 are All saints and St. John's day,

When I were a kid (this blog seems to have a lot of my memories of childhood) we used to go to Cornwall for the same fortnight each year and on summer solstice we'd park at the side of a country road, clamber through gourse bushes and up a damp hill where we'd find a stack of wood and sometimes tyres. From here we would look along the coast , searching and waiting in anticipation to see the distant flicker of flame from the next beacon, this was the sign for the builders of the fire we were at to light ours and so the signal was passed on as the sun set on summer solstice .

So less all do it, challenge for 2017 4 wreaths on our front doors
Christmas, Easter, summer solstice and Halloween,

Let's do this!!

Just need a wreaths hash tag



2 comments:

  1. Trouble is Jeremy, I'm too bloody lazy and not as good a dad as you! To be quite honest the whole Halloween thing I'm still unsure about. I never went out doing it as a kid and I'm not keen on my kids doing it although I tolerate it having a different minded partner. How do you have space for all this stuff anyway? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tradition of going door to door has been around since the 16th with going door to door reciting plays or passages in exchange for food similar to Carol singing for charity

    ReplyDelete